Sunday, November 18, 2007

Long overdue harvest photos.

Tomatoes liked my garden this year. Here is the pile of Roma tomatoes I harvested from my garden plot. There are beefsteaks on the bottom of the pile just peeking out. Peppers also liked my garden. There are two yellow peppers sitting on the counter.

The beefsteaks took forever to ripen, but they were huge when they did. Almost all of them cracked on the bottom which I am blaming on myself. I got bored of watering them and just let them be and I think that didn't help. The one I am holding was particularly huge and did not crack. I gave it to my brother for his birthday which is September 26th if that gives you any idea how long it took for them to ripen. There is also a tiny red pepper sitting on the counter.
My squash took over a lot of the garden as well as some of the yard. It produced these five specimens.
For awhile when people asked what kind of squash this was I would tell them "Winter" having forgot the kind of squash it was. I have to work on that record keeping aspect of gardening. However, I walked through the farmers market yesterday and found that it was "Long Island Cheese" which is a great keeper squash. When I get to making some stuff with my squash I'll let you know how it turns out.

1 comment:

Sara K. said...

Those tomatoes look DEE-Vine! I miss having such lovely tomatoes. The store bought ones are never as tasty! And garden grown have such a unique flavor. If I close my eyes I can almost taste the garden goodness of my grandparents bounty! Looks like you had quite a bounty too! -S