Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Pea Pie

I returned from my trip to an abundance of peas. I love peas, especially eaten right out of the shell. But I also love pea pie, a recipe I came across in the Oregonian in 2003. Doesn't it look delicious?
An upper view of my fancy crust. Though it looks pretty, I used a recipe that causes the pie crust to collapse if you think about brushing against it. It didn't stay like this for long.
Intrigued? Want to make pea pie yourself? Now you can!

From The Oregonian Foodday section, 22 April 2003.

Pea Pie.
Makes 6 servings.

3 cups freshly shelled green peas (3 lbs in the pod)
1 9-inch unbaked pie shell
3 tablespoons grated yellow onion
2 teaspoons finely chopped mint
1/4 c. grade Parmesan cheese
2 eggs
2 egg yolks
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 cup whipping cream

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Blanch the peas in salted, boiling water for 2 minutes. Drain well and place in the pie shell. Add the onion, mint and cheese. Beat the eggs, egg yolks, salt, pepper, and cream together, and pour over the vegetables. Bake for 35 minutes, or until the eggs are set.

My notes:
  • Assuming you don't mind making a pie shell, this is a very easy recipe. While your water is heating up to blanch the peas, you can be cutting the fat and the flour together.
  • I think that I have not had success "grating" the onion and have resorted to finely chopping.
  • Be sure and use cream, and not some other, lesser version of milk product.

1 comment:

Sara K. said...

Pea pie? Would have never thought of that possibility. And the crust is lovely...even if it didn't last! -S