Sunday, February 1, 2009

Act 1, Scene 1 brushed up.

Our observations:

Hermia is the Michael Scott of the play. "Oh! If I tell the guy I like who likes my best friend what her secret plans to run off secretly and marry that other guy, then the guy I like who likes my best friend will like me better."

Matt observed Theseus having to best his fiancee in order to marry her and found that interesting. Some people want a sparring partner for a life partner.

He also thinks Lysander has the funniest line, "Her dad likes you, Demetrius, why don't you marry him?"

Patricia also noticed that Theseus is not that interested in Egeus' problems. "I must confess that I have heard so much, and with Demetrius thought to have spoke therof; But, being overfull of self-affairs, my mind did lose it..." (Matt says he's a flake)

Also, Matt identified with Lysander's list of why love doesn't work out. "Or else misgraffe'd in respect of years--" Then Hermia says, "O spite! Too old to be engaged to young." After all, Matt is four (three and 2/3) years younger! He would like me to type that he is five years more mature, which I am doing, but which I am also adding that he identified with Jim on The Office being 12 and playing ping pong just yesterday.

Patricia liked these lines.
Tomorrow night when Phoebe doth behold
Her silver visage in the wat'ry glass,
Decking with liquid pearl the bladed glass

We also have our first famous line, "The course of true love never did run smooth."

Next week: Act I, Scene II.

2 comments:

Sara K. said...

Very fun! We have loved our season tickets to Shakespeare- but I miss Boise's summer Shakespeare fest! Such a great way to see Will! Hey have you ever read the Shakespeare Stealer? It would be a great children's book to accompany this endeavor. -S

Patricia said...

I started to read that book, but I couldn't get into it. Alas, because it looked really good. Speaking of reading, right now I'm reading "Sunshine" which my librarian friend recommended as a better vampire story than "Twilight." So far it's pretty engrossing.