Sunday, July 26, 2009

Picnic Project: Columbia Park

The Picnic Project.
Established 2006.

Each year, Patricia chooses five parks in Portland—one from each section of Portland: N, NE, NW, SE & SW. She plans food and invites people for a picnic, then records the festivities. By 2027 she will have picnicked in every park in Portland.


2009 Addendum: um, like pretty much all of my projects I am not carrying this project out in quite the way it was begun. Last year, I took a break (I know! After only two years!) because I had the Hungary & Romania trip and thought I would plan the picnics when I got back, but I didn’t.This year, I’m guessing all of the parks will be in North Portland. Back when this project began Matt had a car, but now that we are a car-free household, it is easier to plan excursions to parks near us. So things have changed a little, but the spirit lives on.


Date: 26 July, 2009

Park: Columbia Park

Present: Patricia, Matt, Joe, Mary, Pat, Carol, Atlas

Food: Cold Zucchini & Basil Soup, Chorizo and Lime Salad, Asian Rice Noodle Salad

Activities: Chatting with Matt’s father Joe, walking Atlas, chatting in general.

Comments: Matt’s dad Joe was visiting so we had a picnic in the park. It was very hot, but Columbia Park was amazingly cool. It was a nice way to spend a Sunday afternoon.


Joe had to leave a bit early for another commitment, so Matt walked him to his bus stop.
One of the features of Columbia Park, which also includes a water feature, playground, soccer field and Columbia Cottage.
I call this park the "Hansel and Gretel" park because of the many tall pine trees. When I spent more time on my bike doing long rides, I often would come across this park. From the street looking into the "woods" it looks very much like a fairy tale. Their could easily be a troll living somewhere in this park. The Portland Park's website mentions that this park was inspired by a famous park in Berlin (though it doesn't say which one.) They have trolls in Berlin, right?
Matt takes the dog for a walk


The Asian Rice Noodle Salad.

Kimchee!
This melon and chorizo salad was very, very good. So many interesting flavors!
The zucchini & basil soup. Yet another way to dispatch some of your zucchini.

1 comment:

Sara K. said...

It looks like a great time was had by all, especially Atlas!!! The food looks de-lish, too. I know...if only I lived in Portland, I could experience all this and more! -S