Saturday, February 20, 2010

Garden

A late winter view of the garden:

In the fall I covered our remaining patch of grass with straw and laid cardboard over the top. I then set milk jugs (left from cheese making endeavors) filled with water on top of the cardboard to hold it in place. It looked, well, trashy, but the key to gardening, I've decided, is to look at the garden as you plan on seeing it soon, not as it is now.
I moved over the boxes, and dug out a path next to them. The double box has the transplanted asparagus. The single box on the left will hold strawberries, the one on the right (barely visible) will be the seed starting area. On the left of this picture the Belgian Fence will run along the current fence. All the greenery you see are weeds, as the clover never got planted last fall.
There are already some seed starts in the seed starting bed.
Peas have been planted here, and you can see how I've used the empty peanut butter jars to hide the markers.
Here is the taller of the columnar apple. It's grown a lot.
This is the shorter one, but it has grown tall enough that I can't reach the top of it.
The cherry tree is about waist height, but it will soon be cut back to encourage it to grow into a bush.
I inverted the pots and let the rain wash them off.

This collard green made it through two very cold weeks in December and one big snowstorm. I love collard greens.

This year I will plant potatoes in Emilia's part of the back yard and do away with the grass. Then I will put in a rain garden. I've dug several holes for the potatoes already.

1 comment:

Sara K. said...

Looks very promising! And not as crazy and snow-covered as things are/were here during the February blizzard! Very nicely planned!!!