Saturday, January 29, 2011

Review and Schwag

Of course, Harry Potter: The Exhibition (make sure you read that with gravitas) does not allow photographs (or even cell phone use.) So you won't see anything of what I saw. What did I see? A lot of costumes and props from the movie. There were also informative signs explaining who people were. People like Harry, Hermione and Ron. I found those signs amusing. We also got to throw the quiddich balls (quaffles?) through the hoops, which was fun, sit in Hagrid's chair, which I don't think I actually did, but Laurie liked a lot. My favorite part was pulling the mandrakes which made a very satisfying screeching noise when you ripped them out of the "ground." They then sunk back. I learned from the "extra information thingie" that in the movie, each of those was an anamatronic being and the actors really enjoyed pulling them, because they all wiggled so satisfactorily.

My favorite costumes they had on display were the ones from the Yule Ball. The "extra information thingie" let me know that Hermione's gown was designed to be grownup and girlish at the same time. I loved seeing the Bulgarians' formal uniforms, which had claws on them. This in contrast to Ron's unfortunate attire, which was also on display.

Overall, we felt that Harry Potter: The Exhibition was worth the twelve dollar ticket price we paid, thanks to Hafidha, but was not worth the thirty dollar ticket price we would have paid.

And then we were vomited into the gift shop or "Shoppe" as it was called. It was full of a lot of things that cost a lot of money and which weren't really that great, in my opinion.

I did like this display of ties.
Matt, who when we first met had glasses that were very Harry Potter-esque, holds up Harry Potter glasses. He did not buy them.
Perhaps you would like some "Character Figures" with 14 points of articulation? But perhaps not at the prices listed below.
Here's what $250.00 of McGonagall looks like.


After much searching, I located the postcards, which were reasonably priced. I bought four.

2 comments:

Sara K. said...

I. LOVED. THE. POSTCARD. I. Got!!!! It was so awesome when it came in the mail. I even squealed. I don't think I sent a formal THANK YOU!!! So here it is! Whooppee! I loved it. Reminds me a bit of WWHP and all of the merch. WE gave in a bought a little - so hard not to!

Sara K. said...

Poor Ron!