Sunday, April 20, 2014

Easter (and Vintage Cake's Butterscotch Cream Roll-Up)

Here's a small sampling of the goodies the various Easter Bunnies delivered.

And here's a picture of the cake I made for dessert.  It's from Vintage Cakes. It's the Butterscotch Cream Roll-Up and it's my first rolled cake from this book.  The directions were quite good as to how to make this, but I added some notes which I will reproduce below.  The cake was delicious!  My notes have to do with making a prettier presentation.

My notes:
  • Before you prep the pan, use a ruler and a pencil to mark on the pan's rim where you will cut after the cake is baked.
  • When you pour the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top, THIS is the time to make it perfectly level.  It will not magically do this in the oven.
  • When you are whipping the frosting, go closer to stiff peaks than super floppy.  It will make frosting easier.
  • You only need a thin layer on the face (which will be the inside) of the cake.  Don't go crazy and use too much icing there.


2 comments:

balyien said...

Wow, Easter with your family looks like it was awesome, as always! I think my husband would like that butterscotch cake. I've never been a particularly big fan of that flavor.

Sara K. said...

Oh how that roulade looks tasty! I am loving the graham crackers and peeps Easter treats! Looks like a fun celebration.