Saturday, September 26, 2015

Jan & Roger's 50th Annivesary

Jan and Roger are the parents of our friend Laurie and we see them at the monthly breakfasts that Laurie and Burt host.  We were excited to help them celebrate their Golden Anniversary.

Jan's dress, which is tiny.  It was so small it only fit a few of the teenagers in the room. And they were younger that 15. Jan remarked with chagrin that at the time she was wearing it, she though she was fat.  And so goes the lives of most American women.

The Obamas wish the couple congratulations

Poor insertion of this photo from their wedding album, but it was my favorite.

The topper from their wedding cake. During cleanup, one of the teenagers would ask if she could put her face in the cake.  We all gleefully watched while she did.  Also, my parents had a very similar topper, but it was in blue.

The wedding party. I adored the dresses and the white jackets.

Food!

The celebration's program.

Fabulous decor.

Which extended to the tables.

On the back of the program was a crossword puzzle about Jan & Roger.  Each setting also had a bookmark featuring a photo that the couple had taken on their travels.

There were also gold pencils to fill out the crossword.

Their son Andy, his daughter, and also Burt, Laurie's husband, provided some entertainment.

Then there were speeches.  Adam, the youngest son went first.

While Adam spoke, Laurie went over her tiny cue cards.

Which meant she was ready to speak.

Then Andy gave his speech.

After that, Jan and Roger followed with words of their own.

I enjoy that there were a variety of things this receipt covered, not just marriage.

Another poor transfer.  The list of the gifts the couple received. Notice how the thank yous were all sent out, you can tell by the check marks.

Photos were taken in various iterations.

Because they had the room until 4:00, Jan and Roger encouraged people to bring games and hang out.  The Gamers absconded to their game early on.

More photos.



This one is my favorite.




Jan with her dress.

Photos taken, we settled down to a game of Chronology, which I enjoyed enough to purchase for myself.

The Gamers ranks were depleted, but they kept on.


Happy Anniversary!!!!

3 comments:

Sara K. said...

This is so fantastic, I hardly have words! I hope I live long enough (and Shawn too) to have such a bash. The dress and all of the old photos. Truly fabulous!


Hmmm...you ask...what is Sara doing with this out of order comment? I just decided to tackle the 5 posts that are actually in my reader. Yep. Only 5. I owe you over 60 comments, but I am starting with this 5!

On a Pike Schemes note - there are new posts up to March - coming - as I type! Woot!!!

balyien said...

This is great! I really loved this post. You can see how much love there is in that room. So beautiful. Also, Jan and Roger look AMAZING.

BTW, you can totally tell from the old photos how tiny she was. Lastly, I'm feeling very weirded out that someone who got married in the 1960s has now been married for 50 years.

Unknown said...

Patricia, This is wonderful! You got some great photos. Thank you for sharing and celebrating with us.