Wednesday, June 13, 2007

June 2. Strawberries

Crap. It's the middle of the month and we haven't really posted anything. It's because we've been busy. Onward to the past.


I got up early to pick strawberries on June 2. I do this every year at the Pumpkin Patch on Sauvie Island. It's a pretty quick drive, especially now that we live in North Portland and can just go over the St. John's Bridge. Usually I have helpers, mostly my Mom and Jan, but this year Mom was getting ready for the party and I didn't get around to asking Jan.


I picked two flats in an hour and ran out of time, so I ended up buying a third flat.

What did I do with all those strawberries?

Two pints went to the neighbors

Half a flat got stemmed and taken over to my Aunt's 65th Birthday Party

Half a flat got stemmed and individually frozen

One and a half flats got stemmed, sliced, sugared and frozen

The rest were eaten by Matt and myself.

The berries were exceptionally good this year. It was at the very start of the season and we had some hot weather so they were very sweet.

The next day, however, my hamstrings were exceptionally sore.

Oregon Strawberries. Just another reason I love living here.

1 comment:

Shawn S. said...

Mmmmm...I could just eat your post. After stopping at the Saturday Market in Eugene this weekend...I feel that perhaps all Oregon produce is quite lovely. It gave me a bit of a pang for the west! -Sara