Thursday, June 21, 2007

June 9: The Grand Floral Parade....zzzzzzzzz

I love a parade. I especially love the Rose Festival Parades. I like taping off my space--there was a big controversy this year about this practice--and arriving early and seeing the street theater that is the time before the parade. I love the floats and the rodeo queens and, of course, the marching bands. I love waving to the people on the floats and clapping for everything , and standing for the flag as it comes by.

Matt however, is not at all thrilled by parades. He tolerates them, and will go, but they aren't high on his priority list.

This year the MAunts were away for the biggest parade of all--the 100th annual Grand Floral Parade. To bribe Matt to go, I bought tickets to sit in Memorial Coliseum. We would be watching the parade indoors, dry and with reserved seats. The tickets were spendy, but I figured a splurge on the 100th year wouldn't hurt.

I gotta say, watching a parade inside a sports arena is rather boring. First of all, it was cold. The air conditioning was turned waaaaay up. Secondly, we were very far away from the action. I should have brought binoculars. This far away, I couldn't call out the rodeo queen's names and have them wave to me, I couldn't check out details on the flag corps costumes and if I waved, no one would wave back at me. It was like watching the parade on TV, but without the annoying commercials.
We left early and I came home and napped. I learned my lesson. Next year I am back to duct tape and arriving early.

Matt pretending that he likes parades

1 comment:

Shawn S. said...

I am with you about parades! Love them! Someday I feel the need to go up to NYC for the T-day parade...we shall see. That one might be nice to be indoors for...sorry yours wasn't! -Sara