Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Veronica Mars. We love her.

There is a TV in this house, but it is used as a means to show movies and video games, not actual TV shows. Except TV shows that sneak in the house via DVD.

And thank god for TV shows on DVD. When I was little, you could sign up to have every episode of M*A*S*H delivered to you home, four shows per video, two videos per month. I think each video was $15.00. I told my mom about it and her reaction was, "That would cost a small fortune."

There were a lot of M*A*S*H episodes.

That are now available on DVD. This whole TV on DVD thing at our house started (at least with my full participation) with Freaks and Geeks. That was a fabulous show that I fell in love with so much so that when we watched the last episode (of 12, total) I actually got depressed for a few days and was sad to see them all go.

Then Matt found Veronica Mars and I recovered. We watched season one via Netflix with a disk coming every three weeks or so. Season two we got about three or four disks in and I couldn't stand it anymore, drove to Target, bought the entire second season and watched the remaining shows in a late night orgy when Matt was at his family's house for Christmas. Then watched them again when he got back.

I had a great plan to watch the entire Season 3 when it first came out on DVD, then be ready to watch season 4 in real time. I was actually going to commit to seeing a show on TV with commercials and everything. But the network, in all their wisdom, canceled the show after the third season. So I've been eagerly awaiting the DVD release which happily happened on October 23rd. Which coincided with my birthday. And what a nice birthday present Matt got me.

My plan was to watch one show per week, to really make the last of Veronica Mars last. We did well the first night. On Friday, after prepping for the paint party, we sat down and watched the first episode. Then Saturday found us with an hour to kill before the party started and we watched the second episode. Saturday night, we lost it and watched the third, forth and fifth episodes. Sunday, all sense of control was gone as we sat down to watch one episode and ended up watching three. The only thing that has stopped the viewing is the usual weekly schedule that has me asleep before Matt comes home.

Why do I love this show so much? I've tried to explain to people how cool it is, and am not making much headway. You really have to see it for yourself. Go rent season one. In the meantime, I've got bullet points. Things I'm happy that are back for the third season.
  • Veronica's intelligence, wit and trust issues
  • Keith's humor and their witty repartee
  • Wallace's great boy-Friday sidekickiness
  • Mac's wit and savvy with the computer stuff.
  • Logan's transformation, as well as hamster sideways glances and somewhat bad acting
  • Weevil.
  • Dick's dickineses
  • Sherriff Lamb's swarminess
  • How much I chuckle when we watch
  • Knowing the pop culture references when Matt doesn't
Only 12 more episodes to go. At this point we will be done by next weekend.

2 comments:

Sara K. said...

You know that we are sister on many things and this one just happens to be another one! I haven't gotten my DVD set of Season 3 yet. I am still smarting about the loss of "my girl" as I have so fondly referred to her. And have you seen the programming that CW has on instead? CRAP!!! I am hoping for a mid-season replacement of some of the dumb shows they have on for a re-do of the VM! know that is a total Pollyanna view...but I have to hold on to some hope or I will be completely depressed! I do admit to loving Gossip Girl - but its not the same to only hear her voice and not get the whole wonderful view of Kristen Bell and her fantastic acting.

I will see your bulleted list and add some more.
+the character of Veronica Mars simply kicks ass! She rocks as a strong, smart, beautiful, and very clever woman character - and Kristen Bell plays that role so well
+best repeatable lines of a television show ever ("You got me a pony?!?!?!")
+the fabulous tension between Veronica and Logan (what do you mean poor acting...I LOVE that guy!)
+Tina Marjarino - I loved it when Mac came into the picture and stayed
+Dick has a soft side - but I agree that I enjoy the snarky "out for number one" behavior that he displays so well
+I could go on...but my comments are getting longer by the moment!

Can it really be gone? Did they really cancel the show and not provide for us a fantastic and suspense-filled series finale?

Oh PCC - If only I was in Portland or you were in DC and we could have a VM party and bemoan the stupidity of network hacks!

*I also loved freaks and geeks. Why is it that such great programming gets tossed in favor of CRAP!?!? -S

Anonymous said...

You must not get to enjoy the show very often if your enjoyment depends upon knowing pop culture references that Matt doesn't. Why, he is renowned for his hipness and with-it-ness.