Saturday, February 9, 2008

The Motels and Neon of Interstate

There was a time before Interstate Highway system rolled through Portland, setting down I-5, I-405, and I-84. The Interstates allow the people of Oregon and Washington to zip from place to place around the city. Or, during rush hour, to roll along at 15 miles per hour. In the time before the age of the Interstate, people who wanted to travel drove on state highways which took them through town after town across the country. Once upon a time North Interstate Avenue really did take people from one state to another and those travelers needed somewhere to stay. So the motels came. They didn't disappear with the coming of I-5, but many of them are looking a bit ragged around the edges. I'm guessing that 20 years from now most of them won't be around.

I like traveling down Interstate and imagining the days when the motels were new, the highway was your quickest means of travel and the key to successful marketing was a big, neon sign. Matt and I walked the length of Interstate so we could take pictures of all the motels and their signs.

Starting on the west side of the street and traveling south:

I suspect the left turn into the Comfy Inn was cut off by the coming of the Interstate Light Rail and they got this illustrative mural painted on the side of their building as compensation.

Most of the motels were built around the same time, with only their signs to differentiate them.

This restaurant gets into the neon action too. It's a great place: good solid food, not too expensive and decorated with those 70's mirrors with the golden cracks running through them.

It's interesting to note what is advertised as amenities on the signs. Some tout their phones, some their televisions and some have internet.
This sign has an arrow that blinks on and off.
Of all the motels on Interstate, I would choose the Monticello to stay in. It looks so clean and comfortable.
The other side of this sign says "GET MOTEL"
The Budget is the only brick motel on Interstate. It's a bit run down right now, but I can see the potential for a remodel into a hip, swinging place a la the Jupiter Hotel. They would probably have to loose the Jacuzzi Suites. Or do some major disinfecting.

The Westerner Motel not only has direct dial phones, it has a sign with letters that blink and marquee lighting.



Though nothing on this sign flashes or moves, this is the most fabulous sign on Interstate.
The Palms is the last motel on the west side of Interstate, so here we cross and start North on the east side of the street.

The Alibi isn't a motel, but does have impressive neon, a Tiki Lounge and karaoke.

The Crown Motel has been sold to a developer who will develop an affordable housing project. People want to save the sign as reported in The Oregonian here.
The kicky shade of turquoise that graces the Crown Motel is also on the house next door.
No neon on the Oregon Motel, just a lighted sign.
The last motel on this side of the street is the City of Roses OTE.
It no longer exists and the property is surrounded by a big chain link fence that blows over on windy days.
Thus ends the motels of N. Interstate. May they not grow too shabby as they shuffle off into the sunset.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Put the Palms and Westerner signs in a museum somewhere, or incorporate them into the designs of the 10-story condo bunkers slated to replace the crap-hole motels.

The rest can go to the scrap heap.

The Alibi and Nitehawk can stay as-is, of course.

Little-known fact about the motels on Interstate: they're largely kept in business by DHS emergency/temporary housing vouchers.

brett said...

Great photos! I have been wanting to do that for years, just never made the time. I agree with Steve, but would add the Viking and the Crown to the list. 4 signs isn't much to preserve.

I did a post awhile back about abandoned buildings in N. Interstate. I should do an update.

Sara K. said...

Fabulous! I LOVE that you guys did this! The signs are really great. I am in agreement with the first commenter about the Westerner and the Palms. There were some great motels like these on our favorite show Veronica Mars. In fact, I would say a great LoVe (Logan Veronica) moment occurred at one.

There is a street in Coeur d' Alene that has similar motels. The State Motel is my favorite, with its Idaho shaped fireplace. Yep, the whole state of Idaho as an external fireplace and chimney (attached to the outside of the building). I am pretty sure its in Cd'A and not Boise (but not 100%)

The thought of the signs being taken down, reminds me of the place in Vegas where all of the old signs have gone to die (well, it is more like a museum in a walkway).

Other notes:
A) Yay new commenters! Unless I have missed them before.

B)Got my post card today.
b1) I find it completely hilarious that Matt has added the grilled cheese fish sticks to his wallpaper. I am glad that I am not the only person who finds this fish stick oddity, just that an oddity.
b2) Nice work on keeping up with your new year's resolution
b3) Very nice compliments on the post card. I find it hard to agree wholeheartedly, but appreciate it nonetheless. Though I always wanted to tell my awkward 6th graders...see what you can become...you CAN overcome this awkward gawky phase!

C) There is no C - I just needed to add it for completeness. -S