Friday, April 11, 2008

Making a trellis, or how I fell in love with the angle grinder.

I bought electrical conduit to make a trellis with, but then had to confront cutting it down to size. Research on the internet opened my eyes to a most wonderful tool: the angle grinder.

I hate to saw. I'm not that good at it, and though I enjoy doing some things by hand, sawing isn't one of them. So I was thrilled that the angle grinder (which I checked out from my favorite place: the North Portland Tool Lending Library) could cut my conduit down to size.

It was fun, too. I lined up the conduit I needed and then, after donning the proper safety gear, dropped the angle grinder onto the conduit. It cut through them like butter and made impressive sparks. I was glad I followed the recommendation to have a bucket of water handy.

My first attempts were too long, but it didn't matter so much as I had the angle grinder to make yet another cut.
After cutting the conduit to the correct lengths, I used the sledge hammer to pound in some rebar. It was fun and felt very John Henry-like.
I assembled and decided that my trellis was a bit tall. No problem! The angle grinder helped me again.
After cutting off the proper amount, the trellis looked much more sturdy.
All that was left to do was to add the netting. It was too early in the year to have the plants uncovered though, so I simply picked up the trellis and stored them against the side of the house.
And then! I sharpened all of my shovels with the angle grinder. It was incredibly fun.

Before:
Look at that sharp(er) edge!

1 comment:

Sara K. said...

Wow! Looks like a great project and a really great tool! -S