Saturday, June 25, 2011

Champoeg Kitchen Garden

I couldn't leave without having a look at the kitchen garden. Matt watched the bikes while I explored.

There are herbs and flowers near the entrance.

A shady hop arbor makes a good gateway.

The plants are all ones that were likely to have grown in the 1860s, including cardoon, seen below.

A fabulous bean trellis. Many of the plants I was familiar with, as in these beans or the cardoon above, but the varieties were unusual. Like Bloody Butcher Corn. The visitor center sells seeds saved from the garden and I'm kicking myself that I didn't purchase some packets.

Matt is feeling better, although not great, but looks ready the part of the biker.

But first, some pictures of the bat and bluebird houses.
To see the photographic record of our trip Matt posted on Facebook go here:
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150240061488137.315910.633443136&l=2392c1b7c6
Don't worry, it's public, you don't have to be a member of Facebook to see it.

1 comment:

Sara K. said...

I love a good historical garden. We have so many colonial gardens here, it is rather fun!