Sunday, September 30, 2012

Make your own hash browns.

Now that I've discovered how to make delicious hash browns in my own home, I never have to go out to breakfast again!  Would you like to make delicious hash browns too?  You are in luck as I have a pictorial for you.

Here's what you need:  a cast iron skillet (not non-stick, cast iron) a grater, a knife a spatula, a dish towel, potato (es) and some butter.
 
First put your skillet on medium heat and don't put anything in it yet.
 
Grate your potato.  If I'm the only one who is eating, I grab a potato the size I want to consume.  If you are making hash browns for more than one person, get a bigger potato. If you want, you can peel the potato, but I find that to be a pain and I like potato skin, so I just give it a good scrubbing.  Grate your potato onto the dish towel.  Work quickly because that grated potato will turn a weird color if you tarry.
 
Once the potato is grated, stick a tablespoon of butter in the pan and let it melt.  Use a bit less if there is a small amount of potato.
 
While the butter is melting, put the dish towel around the shredded potato.
 
Twist the shredded potato over the sink.  Depending on the type of potato and how much, you will get a few drips to a goodly amount of liquid.  Squeeze out as much as you can.
 
Still working very quickly, because that butter is sizzling by now, sprinkle salt and pepper on the potato. I stir things around with my spatula at this point, to distribute the salt and pepper evenly.
 
Using your hands, spread your potato around in the pan.  I like crispy hash browns so I don't pile too much on, another reason, in my world, for erring on the side of the smaller potato.   Make sure everything is even though.
 
Tamp everything down with your spatula.
 
Set the timer for seven minutes, which seems like an extraordinarily long amount of time, I know, but unless you have a minute amount of potatoes, you will most likely use that entire time.  If you don't believe me, poke the spatula under and peek at minute four, five, six and seven.  It takes a long time for that potato to brown up.
 
While you are waiting, rinse that starch out of your towel and rinse off your grater.  This might also be an ideal time to start some eggs, or empty the dishwasher.
 
Oh, yes, you also need a plate larger than your skillet.  Get that out right now too.
 
So eventually your potatoes will be golden brown on the bottom and pretty much cooked through, though the tops will still be a bit raw.  They should be sticking together in a nice big round of hash browns. Take a peek and see if they look good to you.
 
If they do, set the plate on top of the skillet, grab two hot pads, pick up the whole shebang and invert it.
 
Set the plate/skillet combo on the counter, lift off the skillet and you will find glorious hash browns, at least on one side.  But you are not done!
 
Melt another tablespoon of butter in the pan and when it has melted and spread around, take that plate and
 
Slide those hash browns back into the pan.
 
I usually set the timer for five minutes at this point, but it usually doesn't take that long.  Keep checking the underside to see if you've hit the magical shade of golden.
 
When you have, you can slide the hash browns onto a plate and cut them into wedges, or, if it is a single serving, you can fold it over twice and make a delicious crispy wedge.

Then you sit down and enjoy those hash browns.  You earned them.

1 comment:

Sara K. said...

YUM!!! WE never get hash browns out here in the land of home fries and grits. Oh how I miss those crispy bits of potatoey goodness. We have lots of potatoes from our CSA in storage... Now I just need to get to shredding!