Sunday, March 9, 2008

Upgrading Square Feet.

Last year, before we moved to this house, my brother and I built raised beds for the backyard. Upon moving here, I decided to install them on the side of the house. This proved to be a bad idea and last August Matt and I moved them to the back yard. I made them into "square feet gardens" a la the Square Foot Gardening book. As you can see, I ran out of energy for this project after creating four square feet, and the garden sat all winter thusly. It was time to finish this project and make it a bit better while I was at it.

Lacking the proper materials for the installation--Mel recommends wood lathe, but I could never find that--I used string and nails. Over the winter the nails rusted leaving a potential tetanus minefield to the uninitiated. This time, I still used string, I really have no idea where to get wood lathe, but used eye hook screws to minimize tetanus risk.
I pulled out the nails, screwed in the eye screws, took a picture, installed the twine and forgot to take another picture. So you can't see the final product, but it looks much better.
Those lone plants are beets, for those who are interested.

1 comment:

Sara K. said...

Oh happy garden! -S