Saturday, June 14, 2008

Bat box ascendant.

Some of you may recall waaaaaay back last summer when Matt and I assembled the Bat Box. For those of you who don't, you can click the link. Anyway, when we left our heroes, the bat box only had to be stained and then it could be finished.

It turns out we are not really good at staining. I don't excel at projects that require me to get out equipment, use it for 10 minutes and then put it away until the next day. So the bat box moved from the porch to the bedroom back to the porch and then to the bedroom until my brother, who is good at things that you work on 10 minutes and then leave for a day, took it upon himself to stain it for us.
And he brought it back with a surprise! A bat of our very own on the front of the bat box. How delightful. Now just a few steps remain. Thankfully all of them can be done in one day.

The roofing material is attached. This will make the box all dry and snuggly for our winged friends.
Screening is attached. This should make it easier for the bats to get into the box.
The post is readied. Note the blue lid with the rock on it? It will become important in a later post.
Box is attached to the post.
Hole is dug. I used the post hole digger from the Fabulous North Portland Tool Lending Library. I also borrowed a ratchet set to attach the braces to the post. I love the NPTL.
It was my first time mixing concrete. I was a little nervous.
And it became one of those things: not enough water, not enough water, not enough--too much water. It worked out okay, though.
Matt and I pulled the bat box and the post over to the hole and Matt held it level while I shoveled in the concrete.
Done! The sad part of this operation is that the bat box has to face a certain direction so it receives the maximum amount of sun during the day. Because of this, the very cool bat on the front is at an angle where almost no one can see it.

We won't get bats this year, but hopefully next spring they will find our box and make themselves at home.

1 comment:

Sara K. said...

How nice! And so sweet of C! The little bat is super cute!!! -S