Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Applesauce disaster

I canned this morning and my first batch of seven quarts of applesauce boiled away in their canner for the the proscribed 20 minutes. When I took them out of the canner, the applesauce exploded out of jars, seeping out of the canning lids and rings. Despair! Where did I go wrong? I packed the jars with one-half inch head space, as instructed, but will increase that to one inch for the next batch. I also forgot to remove the canner from the heat and let the jars sit in the water for five minutes before removing the jars. This might have been a problem too. Discouraged, I repackaged the applesauce into jars and put them in the refrigerator to eat now. I've one more batch to go, so wish me luck.

1 comment:

Sara K. said...

OH NO!!!! How frustrating. Looks like much was able to be saved, yes? I know it is not as long lasting in the fridge, but still yummy. I'm glad the next post is up so I know that success was also had!