Saturday, December 22, 2007

Exciting news! New cleaning tool!

I know you've been waiting to hear about this!

When I moved into my studio apartment, I didn't have a vacuum cleaner and so my Aunt Pat gave me the one in the basement. "The basement" at her house is a treasure trove of all sorts of things that one could want which makes it a fun place to visit. Just the other day I found a box of very cool souvenir plates my Aunt had collected in her travels. I arranged to borrow them after I build the floating shelves. They are super cool.

Anyway, when I first got it, the little vacuum cleaner was a bit worse for wear. After two months of feeling like I was going to cause a fire every time I plugged it in, I had the cord replaced. On the bus ride to the repair shop two people asked me if the vacuum cleaner was a hair dryer and the repair shop guy's eyes just lit up to see it. When I picked it up, a different repair guy, with great nostalgia said, "thanks for bringing this in. It really brought me back." This vacuum cleaner is, to put it mildly, old.

I, easily swayed by nostalgia, was a big fan my vacuum cleaner, but Matt, more swayed by actual working capacity of a vacuum cleaner, didn't really like it. It did have it's quirks. Before my mom replaced the hose, we had to vacuum with gloves on, to keep the decaying old-school rubber off our hands. And the person vacuuming had to stop every half a room or so to tighten the screw on the bottom plate so it wouldn't scratch the floor. The sucking capacity of the vacuum cleaner wasn't so great either. It couldn't really do rugs that well. So we bought a "new to us" one.

This picture doesn't capture the lovely 50's blue that is the old vacuum cleaner, but I love the ecstatic expression of the women on the vacuum cleaner bag wrapper. I also love her swinging sunken couch.
We bought our new vacuum cleaner at Oraks Vacuums (821 N. Lombard). It is a totally refurbished bagless model which only cost $59.00. It works wonderfully on the floors and has the attachments built in. I liked buying a refurbished model because not only was I getting a deal, but I was supporting a local business too.
Perhaps now Matt will look forward to our Tuesday night house cleaning sessions.

2 comments:

Sara K. said...

Very nice!! I really like the old one, though, and can see why nastaligia might weigh heavily in its use!!! I remember when we got our new vaccuum - it is a really nice thing! Happy cleaning to you! -S

Anonymous said...

I don't know about "look forward to" but it is a miracle of modern science.