Sunday, December 30, 2007

Shelf Building Extravaganza Day 5.

Day five dawned with sunny weather. It was a schizophrenic weather day. Sunny, then pouring rain, then sunny, then ice raining, then sunny, then just gray.

I put up the last two shelves in the bathroom. The shelves have to be attached to the supports, but other than that, these shelves are as done as they are going to be. I am still deciding what color to paint the bathroom. Right now, I'm leaning toward gray.
I moved on to the kitchen shelves. Luckily, even though I couldn't find studs in the long wall, there was something for the screws to grip onto. I didn't have to use toggle bolts on those boards, at least. Here are all the tools I was using for this stage of the project, conveniently located atop the freezer. Notice there are three drills. This project could be done with one drill, but the changing of bits would drive me crazy. I'm thankful that Chris let me borrow two of his drills. Which are also better than my drill, power-wise.
Here was the "duh" moment for today. When putting up the back brace, I would measure and make a line in the middle. Then, I would place the board right next to the line and put the level on top of the board. The level then covered my measurement and meant I had to not look at the measurement, or lose the level surface. I finally realized I could put the measurement to the right of where the level ended and see both the height of the board, and if it was level. Things were much easier after that.
I ran low on hardware, due to the fact that when I went back for more three inch toggle bolts there were none and I bought two inch toggle bolts which won't work with the combined thickness of the boards and the wall. So, I used what I had and put three back braces up for the kitchen shelves and had enough bolts to put up the side shelves on one shelf. So one shelf got done here.
Here is the dining room shelf area. This is the second most exciting area to put shelving for me. It's going to make life a lot easier.
I put up the back braces because there are studs there, then experimented with countersinking a hole for the side supports. By countersinking the hole, there was enough room to use the two inch toggle bolts. But by this time, it was time to clean up and go pick up Matt from the airport.
So ended day 5. Will day six be the final day of shelf building? Stay tuned.

1 comment:

Sara K. said...

WOW!!! I continue to be impressed with your motivation and perseverance!!! :) -S