Saturday, December 1, 2007

Our Christmas Tree as Crime Barometer

I've had this vision for the Christmas Tree since before we bought the house. I want it out on the front porch, looking lovely. We have such a nice front porch, and I think it is perfect for a tree. Matt thinks a tree on the front porch will get stolen. I'm not saying that it won't, but so what if someone wants to steal our tree? It just means we won't have to be the ones to dispose of it come January. We set off today to get one.

First we stopped at the Goodwill, where I had seen some Christmas tree stands before Thanksgiving. That turned out to be when I should have bought one, because they were all out. They did have cheap lights, so we bought some of them.

We stopped at the lot near the Goodwill and picked out this Noble Fir. Matt liked the Douglas Fir trees better, but I wasn't going to pay double the money just so someone could steal our tree. He agreed with that logic.

New since I have bought a tree is this cool wrapping thing they did. The tree guy was quite nice and agreed to have his picture taken. The tree woman asked us if it was our first Christmas Tree. We thought about it and realized it was! In the apartment, we didn't have room for a tree, though we always had a nice wreath and the ornament/garland combo idea my mom came up with.
They just push and twist the tree and it is all tied up! "What are you putting it in?" The tree guy asked. We told him we were walking.
This was actually my second time that I have walked a tree home. When I lived in South Boston my roommate Greg and I bought a tree, but I have a feeling my boyfriend at the time and Greg carried it home while I provided conversation. Fun things about walking with a tree: It bounces between you like a suspension bridge as you walk! Many people wave and smile at you as you are walking with your tree!

We stopped to buy a stand at Walgreen's. It was on sale! Here we are twisting the pegs into the tree stand.
And we attach the stand to the tree, stood it up and pulled apart the netting. After that I put on the lights. Then I had to get the hose and clean off the porch which had all sorts of leaf debris on it. I should have taken care of that before the rains set in, or at least before I put up the tree.

As I was putting up the lights, I got a friendly honk and a thumbs up from a passing truck. I'm not the only one who likes the idea of a tree on the porch!

Our tree through the window from inside the house.
Our porch tree with flash.
And without.
I'll let you know if it gets stolen. In the mean time, I'll enjoy it.

1 comment:

Sara K. said...

What a fun idea! I hope the tree is still there. Did you put your precious ornaments in it or just lights? Spreading holiday joy to all who pass by!

Of course I thought of the scenes from When Harry Met Sally and they and then just she are walking the tree home! :)

No tree for us this year since we will be away. Moop! -S