Friday, December 28, 2007

Shelf Building Extravaganza Day 3.

Day three dawned with sun and Aunt Carol came over to help. Mom was supposed to come too, but she got sick. When Aunt Carol arrived, she first pounded in the nails that joined the shelves to the braces. I tried doing it, but I discovered that I have no talent for that. I kept bending the nails. While she was doing that, I went to work cutting more braces and after she finished nailing, she went to work sanding. There was a lot of sanding. It was very nice to have someone else do it.
Here she is pre-drilling the braces that will be attached with toggle bolts in the bathroom.

When we were done, we neatly stacked sets where they will go. Here are the bathroom shelves.
When Chris arrived he brought the lips, which were previously 1X4's that he cut on a table saw. They are a little bit bigger than 1X1 1/2's now, and they get attached to the front of the particle board shelves to increase their strength. Another tip from the wonderful Storage and Shelving Solutions book. The totally finished bike shed.
He then got to work on the garden/tool shed shelves which went up very quickly. Aunt Carol and I got to work hand sawing the peg board which you can see below the third shelf from the top. I will have a place to hang my tools!
Pretty soon, all that junk seen below, will be relocated onto the above shelves. I can't wait!
So we have 99% of the boards cut to fit, we have the majority of the boards sanded. Can we spend just one more day of Shelf Building Extravaganza and be finished? Tune in and see.

1 comment:

Sara K. said...

Seriously, your family is AWESOME!!! So cool that they are such helpers. And, super progress on getting all of your projects done. Shelf-stravaganza looks like it is moving forward with great success! Can't wait to see more...I'm on the edge of my seat!!! -S