Friday, December 19, 2008

The best Christmas Mix Tape Ever!

Back in 1994, my friend Cindy gave me a mix tape of Christmas songs. I know it was in 1994 because it's title is "Merry Christmas Patty 1994" written in alternating red and green letters. This tape is something I look forward to every Christmas season and, due to a week of no school due to "snow", and the magic of YouTube, and a bunch of people who choose to spend their time creating video of songs, (perhaps they too had five snow days in a row?) I can bring almost every song on that tape to you.

I remember a couple of things Cindy told me about the creation of this tape. One was that Christmas songs are short. She used a 60 minute tape--our usual mix tape length was 90 minutes--and still had trouble filling it up. The other thing about this compilation is when she made it she used four forms of music recording technology: Cd's, cassette tapes, albums and even reel-to-reels(!). Super cool.

Now with a few clicks, you can enjoy this mix tape too. Although you miss out on the various hisses and pops from the albums that I get to hear. Except for on the first song on side two.

Side 1
White Christmas--Otis Redding

Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)--U2
(Special "Night Tracks" bonus opening and closing)

Blue Christmas--Elvis Presley

Father Christmas--The Kinks
A bit of a rough cut, but more fun because you get blurry footage of the band. Also, perhaps my favorite Christmas song written after 1950.

Oh Little Town of Bethlehem--Ella Fitzgerald
Alas, YouTube has nothing with Ella singing this so here is one minute of Bing and Frank.

Let it Snow--Harry Connick Jr.
This video is AWESOME!

Santa Baby--Madonna

Happy Christmas (War is Over)--John Lennon

Sleigh Ride--The Ventures
Music only, no video. Go read some email or something.

O Holy Night--The Lettermen

Jingle Bells--Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass

Santa Bring My Baby Back to Me--Elvis Presley

Side Two
Joy to the World--Julie Andrews
With special bonus record needle album noise! Right at the beginning! And some extra bonus album noise around 1:20! What a treat!

Sleigh Ride--Harry Connick Jr.
These ladies rock! In a sort of smooth older woman sort of way.

Silver Bells--The Ventures
I find this girl a little disturbing, but this is the song. Maybe you can read some more email or something.

Silent Night--Tennessee Ernie Ford
I can't find this, though I was distracted with a nice clip of Tennessee Ernie Ford and Johnny Cash. Let's go with Bing again. You can't go wrong from Bing.

Merry Christmas Baby--Otis Redding

Gabriel's Message--Sting

The Christmas Song--Sandler & Young
Nothing of this song. Let us hear Nat King Cole.

What Child is This--Empire Brass
Alas, the Empire Brass are scarce on YouTube. Shall we hear a nice choir?

I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus--John Cougar Mellencamp
This is one of my least favorite Christmas songs, but John Cougar Mellencamp has that cool fiddler and that little girl in the video is his daughter. Plus bonus 80s fashions

I'll Be Home for Christmas--Elvis Presley
Elvis' diction is very funny--"snow and mistletoe" especially.

Oh Tannenbaum--They Might Be Giants
Argh! Why must we be denied TMBG? Why? Instead, see the less hip, but most earnest Vienna Boy's Choir

4 comments:

Sara K. said...

I also have a very classic mix tape from Cindy! She was a master mixologist - I remember when she gave April a mix tape with Rocky Horror Picture Show. And then there were two blushing smilees singing Dammit Janet!

This was a fun post!!!! -S

Anonymous said...

I love Christmas music!!!!
And I miss the hisses and pops from music. That's why I always eat Rice Krispies when listening to my old music!

MJS said...

What a great way to while away time while deep in an ice storm. That Cindy is just so talented. How is she by the way? Loved listening and watching every song. MOM

Anonymous said...

The woman who is doing Silver Bells also has a Tracey Ulman type webshow she puts out, which is not funny.