Thursday, December 25, 2008

Christmas--Presents.

This year, my family decided to try something different for Christmas. We each put the money we would have spent on presents in an envelope, totaled that number, divided it by five and then each of us chose one big present. For Christmas morning, we each brought one present for each person that was either handmade or bought for less than five dollars. Ideally, our big presents would have all been under the tree too, but the weather got in the way.

Our tree with presents.
My Aunt Pat gave me the best gift. At Thanksgiving, I remarked that her pie crust was so good she could just make a pie crust and fill it with whipped cream and I would be happy. So I got an empty pie crust for Christmas! And those yummy pie crust cookies, and nuts and homemade quince and blackberry jelly.
Other great gifts. A free window washing from my brother, an Oak Sandwich Board from my Aunt Carol. She couldn't get them finished because of our weather. My mom gave us each a bucket with a few of Cindy McCain's Oatmeal Butterscotch Cookies and Michelle Obama's Shortbread cookies. After we taste tested, not knowing which cookie belonged to which candidate, we voted. I found that I really liked the Oatmeal Butterscotch despite my usual mediocre feelings about butterscotch and my Democratic Constitution. Also Santa came! He left cold, hard cash. I baked two kinds of muffins: Bran and Vegetable Medley and everyone also go a jar of sauerkraut (surprise!) except my mother who got sour beets, due to her dislike of cabbage.
Sentinel got presents too.
Here my Aunt Carol examines her big gift: A Kitchen Aid Food processor with three different sized bowls and other accouterments.
Mom pauses while cleaning up.
And then shows off her big gift: a new floor for her bedroom.
I got a new bicycle, but because of the weather it spent Christmas (and several days following Christmas) at the bike shop. My mother cleverly substituted these Bicycle Playing Cards.
Chris got a saw. We discussed how handy it would be to have had it while doing various projects.
Aunt Pat bought a battery for some yard device and also will get other yard tools.
After opening presents we did paint-by-number paintings, sat around, napped and eventually played bingo. It was a lovely Christmas.

2 comments:

Sara K. said...

What a great idea! I like it a lot! B and D did that this year - one major present for each kid/kid family. You will have to wait for my most current letter to find out what that big ticket item was... And this way everyone gets something really special that is a splurge! Love it! -S

MJS said...

So, you liked Aunt Pat's gift the most. You the fabulous chicken divan made by your mother. Of course, that might be because it is still in my freezer forgotten each time I see you. Mom