Friday, December 19, 2008

An heirloom from my childhood.

It wasn't yet an heirloom when I was a child, but now that I am closer to antique than child it is more of an heirloom.
My mom made this advent calendar from a kit in 1978, she thinks. She's guessing 1978 because by that time we were attending Southminster Presbyterian Church and she thinks the whole "going to church" thing would have inspired her to make an advent calendar.
Each day on the calendar has an ornament. The first was always either the angel or the star, depending on who was picking first that year, and their preference.
The 24th was always the Santa Claus, and a very exciting ornament it was. It was considered an honor to draw the ornament on the 24th.
In between those monumental ornaments were other ornaments, each one with a different shape. Chris and I traded days choosing the ornament and, due to the sibling rivalry that was present the majority of our childhood, each year we traded off who got to go first. That way, it was fair. "Fair" and "Not Fair" were the two main arguments of my childhood. Now that we are grown and my brother has lost interest, I get to draw an ornament every day and put it wherever I want. It's not quite as fun.
Looking at the advent calendar from an adult perspective, it is an impressive specimen. Each ornament is different and each one has varying levels of beading. I'm happy that it is hanging in my home now.

1 comment:

Sara K. said...

How nice! We have not decorated for Christmas in awhile since we always travel. I miss getting out some of my favorites. Though most of my family heirlooms are at my moms and never quite got packed into our stuff. Hmmm...better make that change! -S