Saturday, December 20, 2008

New Christmas Decoration

I pity those of you who haven't had the joy of receiving the Oriental Trading Company catalog. Full of crap, that catalog is. But crap that somehow transcends the crappiness of crap and ascends to a new level, a level that motivates a person to buy their multitudes of holiday themed craft kits and items.

So it was for Allegra. Allegra is a teacher at my school and also happens to be Jewish. She was raised in Brooklyn, and didn't really understand the true extent of Christian culture in the US until she moved away from her Jewish neighborhood to Oregon. Allegra also has a good sense of humor and when she came upon the marshmallow-themed nativity scene in the Oriental Trading Company Catalog, she first died laughing, then pulled herself together and ordered one for every staff member. When I joined the staff in May of 2006, she gave me my very own kit as a welcoming gift. I was thrilled. Two more Christmas seasons have passed since then, and this was the year of assembly, thanks to the many snow days I enjoyed this week.
And so I give to you, the glory that is the marshmallow-themed nativity scene as assembled by me on a snowy night:
Aside from hilarity the concept of fake-edible-themed-sacred-objects brings me, I love that when I glued Joseph's beard on, it intercepted his smiley mouth in a weird way making him look entirely horrified to be standing before you on, yes, a foam chocolate bar and graham cracker.

What must the average Chinese person think of us?

1 comment:

Sara K. said...

Oh dear! I have seen this in the OTC catalog (which I love to look through and giggle about! On a side note - I wonder if teachers keep them in business). Yes, Our Blessed Mother in marshmallow - it is too too much! I do like the face that Joseph is making!!!!

I always think that about the Chinese factory workers...what must they think of us. What kind of ridiculous story does our cheaply manufactured stuff tell about us? I say it out loud all the time while holding some stupid nonsensical item in my hand! -S