Saturday, August 15, 2009

And Ikea said, "Let there be light!"

Way back in March, I took a trip to Ikea to purchase under cabinet lights. Before leaving, I double-checked I had the correct power cord. However, when Chris and I installed the lights, I discovered that I had the wrong cord and I would not be plugging in the lights and turning them on.

Ikea is 8.3 miles away from me and according to Google Maps, would only take 16 minutes to reach by car. However, it's location, while served by Max trains, takes 55 minutes to get to each way from my house. That makes visiting Ikea and expedition. If I were biking more, I could just zip out there on a long bike ride, but alas, I am not. So more than four months have passed and my lights have been dark.

My kind mother agreed to visit Ikea on the way to pick up our sides of beef. The cord was exchanged and I was ready to finish the project. A quick plug into the socket and:
Light!

Before, when cooking, this was the light situation. Also, the overhead fixture meant that unless I stood in just the right place, my chopping was done in shadow.

With the lights, the situation is much improved. I also turn on the light over the stove.
This was one of those projects that took little time to do, little money to buy and made things 500% better.

2 comments:

Sara K. said...

Nice! Does the hanging cord bug you?

Patricia said...

It does. There were immediate plans to tack it up out of the way, but time has passed and it's still hanging there.