Friday, March 25, 2011

Pest Control Formula HOS Pome News Winter 2011

I've had this in my physical inbox for awhile because I wasn't sure what to do with it. I want to use it in the future, but didn't know where to put it. Then, VOILA! the answer came to me. I'll just type it in here and come back later to retrieve it when I need it.

Pest Control Formula
Mai Schreiber, HOS Member

Mai got this formula from a Seventh Day Adventist family who had used it for two generations. Mai has had extremely clean fruit in her ancient orchard that had been neglected for some years.

1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup sugar
1 banana peel, chopped
1/2 gallon water
Also add chopped, withered, or even partly rotten apples

Mix all ingredients. Divide into half gallon milk jugs or other containers to hang in fruit trees. Mixture should be about three inches or more deep in bottom of container. Leave cap off so insects can enter. Insects are attracted by the odor of the mixture.

Hang containers in orchard (3 in a standard tree) on other branches in early March. Check regularly an replace when filled with insects. Dump on weeds--vinegar will help kill weeds.

Clean or replace containers filled with new mixture. Keep containers in trees all summer and fall until leaves fall off.

1 comment:

Sara K. said...

Ha ha! Very clever. Blog as place to save important information for later! I need to clean my inbox!