Saturday, July 28, 2007

Harvest--Kale and Collards

My kale and collard plants were taking over the tomato area. It turns out I learned a lot about planning a garden this year. My set up was not really optimal. So, to let the tomatoes ripen, I needed to take out some of the kale and collards all together, and cut the rest back.

Here is my leafy kale planted with nasturtiums to help repel cabbage moth.

The collards encroaching on the tomatoes.
The harvest! When I packed this into bags, I filled two plastic grocery store bags. The collards, I blanched and froze for eating this winter. The kale we eventually stir fried and ate. Yummy!

1 comment:

Sara K. said...

Wow! What a green thumb! I am so impressed with your skills! I've not really eaten a lot of Kale. Oh, that reminds me, I was supposed to send you a radish recipe...oops! I will write it down and add it to your letter! :) Again...thanks so much for the wonderful walk cards! :) A great surprise. Its been a really hard week, so it was a pick me up that really helped. -S