Sunday, July 29, 2007

Sunday Walk

Matt and I have been taking walks in preparation for a half-marathon in October. We've used these opportunities to explore North and Northeast Portland. This rambling walk we went on was chosen to take us by my co-worker Maureen's new house and to walk by a lot of parks. The neighborhoods we walked through had a lot of little vegetable gardens tucked here and there. I had a great time looking at all the growing vegetables.

Some highlights:

This house has groovy little gathering place in their carport. I love the string art on black velvet especially. Three things you see a lot of in Portland: A clothesline, a rain barrel and Tibetan Prayer Flags (visible as little daubs of color on top of the clothesline.)

This house is an island, surrounded on three sides by streets.
We came across Woodlawn Park, which had this great little water feature for kids. There were no kids around, so we took advantage. We turned it on, which you do by pressing your hand into a hand print on that blue post. There are four different water features and they come on in a cycle. Seconds after I took this picture, I ran through those blue hoops and got thoroughly wet. Such fun! Then I was a bit cold the rest of the way home. Curse this gray summer we are having.

1 comment:

Sara K. said...

I LOVE the water feature! How fun that you get water after just a push of a button!!!! And the walk sounds great! Shawn and I need to get on that and do some similar exploring (we are such slugs). I am hoping your walk cards help us out! :) -S