Here is our "before" shot. Since we moved in this has been a storage area with the white dresser holding a mish-mash of things, and the two orange stands holding books and music items. There used to be a stereo system with large speakers there too.
I never like how the white dresser was the first thing people saw when they came in the door. So it's (finally) time for a change.
I bought these two stands in Somerville. At the time, downtown Somerville had an unfinished furniture place. I bought this one first, and it was my computer desk for the iMac I briefly owned. That was the iMac that taught me I'm not an Apple person. I bought the second one to hold my TV/VCR combo and all my VHS movies. They've been good little soldiers, but it is time for them to find new homes.
What I found when I moved the shelves. A lot of dirt and the resting place for Antares' mice.
Now that I've moved everything out and scrubbed the floor, it's time to assemble the three Billy bookcases I purchased from Ikea.
And look! One is nearly done.
But alas, it is about 5/8th inch too high for where it needs to go. I swear I measured. But I guess not very well.
I set aside that problem and Sentinel came to help me assemble the Kallax shelving unit.
That went together quite nicely. I dislike the cubes we choose to fill the Kallax shelving unit. They remind me of a set of plastic end tables from my early 80s childhood. Also, they seem quite fragile. But they will work for now.
I returned to the problem of the Billy Bookshelves and measured out a solution. The clear ruler I bought for my pattern manipulation class came in handy as I drew the line for the cuts I needed to make.
Taking another break, I filled some of the Kallax shelving unit's drawers. Look what fits! Albums! I'm pretty sure some Ikea designer must have a big record collection. Thank goodness s/he designed some furniture to hold them.
I am now the owner of a mid-range jigsaw.
All set up and ready to cut.