Friday, July 23, 2010

Belgian Fence Framework

Chris came over and we put up the framework for the Belgian Fence. I bought five 8-foot fence posts (the kind that chain link fence gets attached to) and four bags of quick-set concrete. We had a lot of debate about how much to buy. According to the package directions, we should have bought six bags. However, that sounded like much too much and we bought four. It turned out we could have bought three. We also bought 240 feet of galvanized wire. I needed 140 feet, but the packages came in bundles of 120 feet.
Here we have set up a station for drilling holes in the poles where the wire will run through. If you look closely, you can see that three poles have already been installed along the fence.
I dug the holes while Chris drilled. The whole project went very quickly, much to my surprise. The quick-set concrete was amazing. Chris would hold the pole level, then I would pour in the concrete about halfway full. Then Chris would recheck that the pole was level and I would turn on the hose and fill the hole with water. We would repeat this a second time and by the time we had the hole finished, the concrete would be semi-hard.
We strung the wire through starting with the top line. After months of debate, I went with the "wrap the wire around the pole" technique rather than the turnbuckle route. We secured the top three wires in a jiffy and strung the bottom wire through but didn't solidly wrap it because when I plant the trees I want to make it easy to dig the holes.

Still to do: wire bamboo guidelines in the Belgian Fence shape.

This is yet another project with no pictures of the finished project. Soon.

1 comment:

Sara K. said...

Rats! I think was the day we chatted after you were done doing the fence posts! I was hoping for a post project picture.