Saturday, July 10, 2010

Day 7--Feeling Great Menu

I forgot to take pictures of most of this day's food.

Breakfast
Healthier Lifestyle Tea: Yep, drank it.

High Energy Breakfast Shake: I'm not so much of a shake/smoothie fan, unless they contain actual ice cream. Many smoothies are off limits to me as they contain bananas which are the devil's fruit and ruin the taste. I also feel the same about them as I feel about energy bars: I eat them, and then I keep looking for real food. That said, I left out the banana and this was great. I think it was because of the peanut butter and flax seed that really boosted things up. Plus, I ate it with
Whole Wheat Toast
1 cup cherries

Snack
1 apple with peanut butter: Much like the workers in the West Wing, I enjoy an apple with peanut butter. This apple, however, was past its prime and didn't really taste very good.

Lunch:
Chinese Chicken Salad: I couldn't find any Napa cabbage, so we went with normal. I bet the Napa cabbage would have made this even better. Instead of boneless skinless chicken breast, I went with a chicken leg that I poached and that was very good. The dressing was the amazing part. Very delicious--probably the best one I've had this week, and I've had some good dressings.

Snack
Never got eaten today.

Dinner
Garlic Dip with Crudites: good.

Herbed Chicken Breast: I pretty much refuse to buy boneless skinless chicken breast--it seems wasteful and dumb. I tend to buy a whole chicken and pull things off of that, but that was a tall order for this meal. So I bought bone-in, skin-on. Which reminds me. This recipe calls for boneless, skin on chicken breasts. I'm not sure where this guy shops, but that doesn't exist. You have to get the meat counter guys to debone a bone in chicken breast and then they charge you a lot of money. Sheesh. The herb sauce was good--I had to use oregano in place of the thyme because my thyme has become mopey.

Sauteed Mushrooms with Green Peas: this was kind of an "eh" dish. The peas got mushy because they were frozen. Not my favorite vegetable presentation.

Dessert
10-Minute Apple Sundae: Again, a fruit dessert that changes my concept of fruit for dessert. Very good.

So ends the week. I think this was a good menu to follow for a week. I will take away some things from it, like fruit for snacks and a bean dip appetizer with crudities. Also my fruit dessert conversion. In general, the portion sizes of the vegetables were huge. I understand why--for a lot of people this wouldn't be much meat at all and I think the vegetable portion sizes were huge to make up for it, but I think those large sizes drove the high cost even higher. But it was a good reminder to have much larger amounts of vegetables than protein. My digestion has become more regular because of it, which is a good thing. I also got some great new breakfast ideas. That area had been lacking lately.

Things that aren't good: It took a goodly time each day to prepare. They aren't involved meals, but they do take time to get the various things on the table. I tend to make dinner and then eat the leftovers for lunch the next day, so this was much more cooking. The recipes aren't always clear, sometimes I just had to go with whatever, because the instructions led me astray. It also would be nice to have a shopping list for all the food for the week, though perhaps if I'd seen that ahead of time, I would have not gone on this venture. Did I mention it was expensive?

So ends the week of feeling great. We will now rejoin society in general.

1 comment:

Sara K. said...

I like that you gave it a full try and will now adapt it to what you need to make it realistic for your life.