Saturday, July 3, 2010

Day two--Feeling Great Menu

We learned by watching yesterday's portion sizes.

Breakfast:
Healthier Lifestyle Tea: Even made according to the recipe (1 teaspoon of lemon juice rather than 2) this was still too lemony.

Breakfast Bagel: I was surprised we got two whole ounces of cheese, as all the other cheese I've run across has been measured in tablespoons. This was delicious. It's not unknown for me to have a bread/egg/cheese sandwich on the weekends, but I never have avocado and tomato with it. This was a transcendent sandwich, even if it did kind of fall apart halfway through. We had cantaloupe instead of grapefruit, partially because Matt doesn't like grapefruit and also because we had a cantaloupe. I only gave us 1/4 of cantaloupe each. Se above re: portion sizes and fruits/vegetables.

Snack:
8 oz low-fat plain yogurt, 1/2 md apple: We had instead the stone fruit from the fruit delivery. I liked this, but I eat plain yogurt/fruit for breakfast all the time. Matt came back and put some honey it, because it was too tart for him.

Lunch:
Healthy Turkey Salad & Blue Cheese Dressing: I really liked this dressing. It wasn't a normal dressing thickness for me, but tasted great. It also used up the entire 1-cup carton of buttermilk. Often I have dribs and drabs of cream and buttermilk cartons. So that was great. Matt liked this salad much better than the one offered yesterday. As they had almost identical ingredients, I can guess he liked the dressing.

Snack:
1 nectarine: It's stone fruit season, so that's what we ate.

Dinner:
Hummus with Crudites: A good, if oily hummus recipe. I'm interested that it had five tablespoons of olive oil and only 1 tablespoon of tahini. Most hummus recipes use much more tahini. It was delicious with the red bell pepper which I rarely buy due to exorbitant cost.

Mediterranean Cod: I find cod to be the most bland fish ever. It's like if scientists created "fish" that had no offensive anything and was just substance. There is no flavor. This is, of course, why it tastes so good fried and with chips, but frying and the World's Healthiest Foods don't go together so much. This recipe was good, as it gave about three times the amount of stuff that goes on top as it did cod. That way, I could have a bite of cod (bland) and a bunch of topping (delicious!). Matt even ate it, though it had tomatoes in it. I tried to cut them up very small, so they would cook down enough that he would eat them and it worked.

5-Minute Kale with Sea Vegetables: I eat a lot of kale. I love it very much. And this recipe elevated kale to another level it was so good. The agar was salty and delicious and next time I will use less than the 3.5 tablespoons called for, because it seemed like a lot. Again, 1/2 lb of kale is a lot of kale, but so delicious.

5-Minute Raspberry Almond Parfait: I'm really rethinking this fruit dessert thing. This was also delicious and I would make it again. It helped that these were very ripe fresh picked local raspberries, but in general, it was fabulous!

So, after two days, do I feel great? I feel good, I guess. I have a strange sensation of being overfull of vegetables, which is a different sensation of being over full of carbs, which is usually what I'm overfull with. We're taking the fourth off as potato salad and Polish-style hot dogs are not on the World's Healthiest Food list, I'm guessing. The next five days will be focused on adjusting the vegetable and fruit portion sizes so I don't end up over full of anything.

1 comment:

Sara K. said...

YUM!!! Looks like another amazing day of eating. And full on veg. It is interesting. SB is the same way. I also didn't need my fiber pills. Hopefully that is not TMI!