Friday, July 9, 2010

Day 6--Feeling Great Menu

A day when previous "World's Healthiest Foods" portion sizes go out the window.

Breakfast
Healthier Lifestyle Tea: I drank it on the porch, which was very nice as there was a breeze. It has been very hot, for Portland.

Healthy Breakfast Frittata: All week long, breakfast portion sizes have been one egg, when they include an egg at all. This recipe calls for five eggs and a quarter pound of ground lamb to serve two people. It was a huge protein boost. I had trouble getting the eggs to cook through, but ultimately, this was a good recipe. I'm always a fan of greens in the morning.
Whole Wheat Toast: 2.5 eggs and only one piece of toast? Hmmmmmm.
Cherries: Delicious!
(after this point I fail to take pictures the rest of the day. Sorry)

Snack
1 nectarine: I like having fruit for a snack.

Lunch
Lentil Salad: Same old 4 cups of lettuce, but this time with lentils. There were two raw cloves of garlic in here which was overpowering, and I left out the 1/2 cup of onion that was called for. I can't imagine anyone would have wanted to go near me. What I liked? The red pepper lentil combination is a good one. The salad dressing amount. These salads use much less dressing than I would normally, but it works for me.

Snack.
4 oz low-fat plain yogurt, 1 pear: We missed this snack because we were at Blue Lake Park. I thought the second snack was too much food, but because I missed it, I got hungry again at 8:00. Instead of eating this, I had popcorn.

Dinner
Tahini and Crudites Appetizer: I just had more of the garlic dip from yesterday. We've got a lot of bits of dip because the serving sizes were for more than two people.

Spinach and Mushrooms: I didn't have this recipe printed out and when I clicked on the link, I found it was the same spinach and mushrooms that we had for breakfast with the poached egg. It was delicious

Salmon with Mustard: Again with the portion sizes. All week we have been eating one-third pound of fish split in half for a serving size. Skeptical at first that it would be enough food, I became a convert. Then, for no reason today, the serving size boosts up to three-quarters of a pound, split in half. It was a huge amount of salmon. But prepared deliciously

1/2 cup rice: I forgot to make this. Oops.

Dessert:
5 Minute Fresh Plums in Sweet Sauce: Loved it! Delicious!

1 comment:

Sara K. said...

Sounds tasty! I am impressed that you are still going. Keep it up!