Monday, July 5, 2010

Day 3--Feeling Great Menu

After a day eating Independence Day food (hot dogs, potato salad & chocolate cupcakes) we return to our menu. Here is how today went.

Breakfast
Healthier Lifestyle Tea: I just didn't add in the lemon.

High Fiber Cereal: This was Grape Nuts (or Nutty Nuggets as the store brand is called) with 1 cup of blueberries & 2 tsp of blackstrap molasses. And milk, of course. I don't eat cold cereal. Grape Nuts used to be the only one that was filling in any way shape or form, and even that was only a so-so filling. I decided the cost wasn't worth the food volume. But with one cup of cereal and one cup of fruit, this was quite filling and I liked the taste of the molasses. Plus there was fruit on the side. Matt was a big fan of this, too.

Snack
Papaya with Lime: I couldn't face cutting up the papaya and instead ate some leftover fruit salad I had made pre-"Feeling Great" Menu.

Lunch
Mediterranean-Style Salad: Every once in awhile, I buy some canned sardines. They are high in Omega whatevers and packed with good for me things, etc. Then I have no idea what to do with them and they sit in the cupboard until I give them to the Food Bank during a food drive. So it was nice to have listed in a recipe for this salad. They weren't very fishy, much less so than tuna. I'm not sure if Matt will eat them. He's taking the salad today. He hates everything about tuna, but I'm not sure how he will react to the sardines. The cats also enjoyed the leftovers. Also, this salad calls for SIX cups of lettuce. Six! And I thought four was a lot.

Snack:
Apple treats: I forgot to take a picture, but it is sliced apple with peanut butter and then granola sprinkled on top. Delicious! Except I didn't like the granola I bought.

Dinner:
Vegetable Appetizer: This is cut up vegetables. They were good. I mean really, what else can you say?

5-minute collard greens with sunflower seeds: Again, I'm a huge fan of collards and this was a good way to prepare them. I forgot to put the sunflower seeds on, but they were delicious anyway.

Spicy Asian Shrimp: I'm not the biggest shrimp fan, though Matt loves it. So this was another stretch for me. The seasonings were good and I reduced the juices the shrimp were cooked in so it made a sauce. I'm pretty sure I overcooked the shrimp as it was rubbery, but Matt said he wouldn't know the difference. I probably won't ever make this again, but it was good enough I didn't have to choke it down.

10-Minute Strawberries with Chocolate Creme: This was delicious. The store strawberries did not look good (due to our wet and cold June we did not have a good Oregon strawberry crop) and so I bought raspberries. Fabulous! The chocolate creme was surprisingly good--like chocolate pudding but without all the heat and stirring.

The shopping for two more days of food took two hours today and was another heart stopping amount. Still, I'm not wasting anything, and the food is quite good, even things I don't think I will like.

1 comment:

Sara K. said...

Yikes with the prices - its like shopping here! The food does look good and hopefully you are feeling great! :)