Wednesday, November 21, 2007

Hanging Tools

We have these great sheds that are off of our back porch. They are wonderful for storage and were a huge "yay" when we bought the house. They need shelves though, desperately. I am hoping that "Shelf Building Extravaganza" works out over Christmas Break, but in the meantime, on Veteran's Day I installed some hangers for all the tools.

Before shot, straight on. It could go in a magazine as an example of what happens when you don't have shelves and shove everything into your closet and can't take advantage of your 9-foot ceilings.
Right side view.
Left side view.
I bought the only hanging organizer Lowe's had. If I had saved the box, I would be able to warn you to not buy that brand. I bought it because I was at Lowe's, had a gift card and they had no other options. Which is one of my pet peeves of home improvement centers. 40 million square feet and they can only stock one brand of hanging organizer. My small hardware store had three to choose from. But I wasn't at my hardware store, I was at Lowe's so their $9.99 brand I bought.

They were pretty easy to install. You put in the anchor, put the screw in the hole, level everything and attach the second anchor. Then you decided if you wanted to make the rail longer and either attach the next rail, or put on on an end cap using the anchor/screw idea.

After your rail is up (plastic, as I'm sure you can guess from the $9.99 price) then you attach the U-shaped holders and put in the plastic pegs. This is the part I'm not really impressed with. They gave you a lot of holders and pegs, but the holders are kind of small and don't really grip the handles of the tool they are supposed to be holding. The pegs are the worst and fall out at the slightest provocation. Still, the whole thing somewhat works and you go to war with the shelving system you have, not the one you should have bought. At least things are off the floor. It's still messy in there, though. I can't wait for "Shelf Building Extravaganza." Stay tuned.

After I took these "after" pictures, I put all the stuff back in I had hauled out to work. So it looks as messy as usual in there now just climbing up the walls. I decided not to immortalize the true finished product for posterity.

1 comment:

Sara K. said...

Looks really great to me! Once the shelves are in...the shed will be a perfect dream! :) I just love it when everything has a place! -S