Friday, November 23, 2007

Thanksgiving Goodness.

Before we started with the eating the MAunts and I took a walk. We took Atlas with us. That's my mom on the left, the Aunt Pat, then Aunt Carol looking very cool in sunglasses.
Then, there was food. Olives, both Kalamata and California
Bread Stuffing which my brother brought.
Mashed Potatoes and Gravy. The potatoes were mine, the gravy my Aunt Pat's
The traditional rice dressing which I ate this year due to the gluten-free thing I'm trying. One of the Aunts made this. I'm not sure which one.
Broccoli that my mom made.
The Waldorf Salad Redux. See the recipe at the bottom of this post. I made this.
Turkey. My Aunt Pat roasted this. I love turkey.
Rolls. My favorite part of Thanksgiving. My Aunt Carol made these. She bought me gluten-free cornbread, which was quite tasty. Though not as tasty as the rolls, I'm sure.
There were also brussels sprouts that my Aunt Carol made. I love brussels sprouts!

Waldorf Salad Redux.
I got this from the Oregonian November 28, 2006.
6 servings [big servings]

Dressing:

1 1/2 t honey
2 T apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 t Dijon mustard
1 T toasted walnut oil [or not. I happened to have some macadema nut oil, but I've used regular olive oil]
6 T sour cream (reg or light)
1 T mustard seeds lightly toasted [I didn't do this. But it probably tastes better if you do]

Salad:
Juice of one lemon
2 cups water
4-5 small unpeeled apples (or 3 medium: see note)
1 cup celeriac (celery root) peeled and julienned into 2-inch lengths (about 1/2 pound) [I just used celery because I have a lot of it.]
1 cup walnut halves, toasted. [and I'm noticing I didn't do this either. It probably tastes better if you do]
1 cup dried cranberries.

To make dressing: [heat the honey first a little or it doesn't mix well] In a small bowl, whisk together the honey and vinegar. Add the mustard and walnut oil and whisk well. Add the sour cream, mustard seeds and salt and mix again.
To make salad: [you can do all this apples in water thing, or just work fast and combine the whole thing together and skip the apples in water part] In a large bowl, combine lemon juice and the 2 cups water. Quarter, core and thinly slice apples, placing the slices in the lemon water as you work. Drain apples thoroughly and pat dry. In another large bowl combine apples, celeriac, walnuts and cranberries. Toss with the salad dressing and refrigerate or serve immediately.
Note: Gala or Honeycrisp apples are good choices. For a little sour kick, trade out one for a Granny Smith apple.
Note: For dried cranberries that are less chewy, soak them in warm orange or cranberry juice to cover for a half-hour before draining and adding to salad [I find this step entirely unnecessary, but your cranberries might be drier than mine.]

Yummy!

2 comments:

Sara K. said...

Yummy is right! I love getting to see what is on other people's Thanksgiving tables. How's the gluten-free life going? I always wonder if some of my tummy issues come from wheat problems...but I am too in love with that part of the former food pyramid to ever try to give it up! -S

Sara K. said...

PS-Thanks for the recipe...S