Thursday, August 5, 2010

Antares. A good kitty.

It's just been the past few weeks that Antares has decided with some certainty that I am not going to hack him to bits the first chance I get. I was never going to do that, of course, but I'm pretty sure that thought has been lurking in his mind from day one. Lately, he is behaving much more like a house cat and much less like a feral cat. He will probably always be skittish and very slow to warm up to people, but he has been very sweet of late, even doing "the roll."
"The roll," as cat lovers know, is when a cat entices you to pet him by rolling his head on the ground and exposing his belly. Antares hasn't yet fully committed to "the roll"; he's feeling more comfortable with a half roll at this point. Still, this is progress. He's seen Sentinel do it, and he knows he should do it too.
Alas, we are going away for a week soon, and I will have to put him in the cat carrier to take to my Aunt Carol's house. He is not going to be pleased and we shall see how much it sets him back. In the meantime, I'm enjoying him greatly.

1 comment:

Sara K. said...

Good to hear he has started settling in! We call it the flop at our house. Arch practically throws himself down...when we come home, when we wake up, just about always! Its fun to see our rescue cats starting to trust that they are at their fur-ever homes! :)