Resulting in the clothespin solution every morning. So! We need to replace the jute twine with something sturdier.
Since I had to take the whole thing apart anyway, I bought a scrap of leather (only one dollar at Oregon Leather Company!) to replace the very twisty fabric ties. Here is one of the ties cut.
My trusty curtain/shade book told me to make a hole in the leather with an awl. I had no awl, so I used my drill. It worked pretty well. And that's as far I as I got with that project today.
I moved on to measuring the curtains. These are purchased curtains, which I plan to modify to suit me.